Saturday, January 07, 2006


We finally got around to seeing what some have called one of the best movies of the year tonight.
“Walk the Line” star Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon in the June and Johnny Cash story.
For people too young to remember Cash’s early days, he didn’t start out as the Man in Black who was as likely to quote the Bible as he was to sing.
We learn here that as a young man Johnny was a hard living, pill-popping songwriter who was deeply troubled by the childhood death of his brother.
This is an excellent movie, but it is not perfect.
While Phoenix and Witherspoon are convincing as country music’s most famous couple,
“Walk the Line” could have used a little more character development, but anyone even remotely familiar with Cash and Carter would not have trouble filling in the gaps.
My only big problem with this film is the music. You know what, call me crazy, but if I go to see a movie about Johnny Cash, I want to hear Johnny Cash sing, not Joaquin Phoenix.
Joaquin is an adequate singer, but no one else is Johnny Cash.
Anyway, it’s well worth seeing. Go to the theater and it enjoy it. Then find a CD with some real Johnny Cash music and hear what really made him someone special.

In other news...


Bill Clinton and Senator Hillary Clinton were at a Yankees game. Before the game began a secret service man came up to him and whispered in his ear. Bill Clinton suddenly picked up Hillary and threw her out on the field. The secret service man came running up to him and said, "Mr. President Sir, I think you misunderstood me, I said throw out the first pitch."

1 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Cool, thanks for the review. I have always liked Joaquin - so I'll check it out!

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home