Every now and again I have to ask, “What the heck were they thinking?”
I asked myself that recently while I was at the local Kroger.
It seems some marketing genius has decided to use a popular family movie to sell dog food.
While such movie tie-ins are not that unusual for say a Happy Meal at McDonald’s, it is not typically used to move dog food. To make maters worse...the movie is “Old Yeller.”
This is straight from the Kroger news release..
“The movie is a timeless classic that transcends generations, and we believe this brand will appeal not only to original fans, but to the millions of Americans who share the same kind of special bond with their beloved dogs,” said Barry Vance, Kroger senior corporate category manager.

Inspired by one of the most beloved movie classics of all time, The Kroger Co. today introduced Disney's Old Yeller, a chunk style dog food now available at more than 2,500 stores around the country.”
So did anyone bother to tell Mr. Barry Vance, Kroger Senior Corporate Category Manager that THE DOG GETS RABIES AND THEY KILL IT.
I’m thinking of sending the below ad to Kroger and see if they would like to use it to market, “Old Yeller” Dog Food. (click on the picture for a bigger version.)

6 Comments:
Oh No! Oh NO! PLease tell me this is a joke - Didn't anyone at the ------ Dog food processor watch the movie!!!!! LOL! I can't believe this is real!!!!!! Welcome back from vac.
Can you believe it? This is real. Of course I did the ad, but the rest is true. That's a picture of it on the shelf at Kroger.
LOL and I recently saw "Lassie" dog food in Kroger...I guess as long as they don't have "Cujo" brand, we're ok ;)
Yeah, but they don't kill Lassie at the end of the movie.
Yeah, but they don't kill Lassie at the end of the movie.
I know, I was just adding another flava to the mix and I thought my Cujo thing was funny....hmmmm
*crickets.......*
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home